News & Resources
Innovative legal solutions for your insurance and business needs
Some Prior Accomplishments and Engagements
- Assisted national, publicly traded company with achieving first of its kind merger of its Bermuda insurance company with and into its Virginia insurance company.
- Assisted Virginia health plan with “Form A” acquisition approval of another Virginia health plan
- Assisted global insurance group with state approval of insurance business transfer (IBT)
- Assisted privately held international financial holding group in multi-billion dollar “Form A” acquisition approval of Virginia life and health insurer
- Advised several Boards of Directors with respect to corporate governance and facilitated board self-assessments
- Assisted multi-state property and casualty carrier with multi-state licensing expansion
- Assisted numerous insurance holding companies with holding company compliance, form filings, and regulatory approvals
- Assisted national, publicly traded insurance company with development, filing and regulatory approval of over 50 complex policy forms and related rate filings in Virginia on accelerated timetable.
- Scott Sorkin moderated a panel on Transportation Network Company Insurance Issues at the Federation of Regulatory Counsel’s Hot Topics Seminar in conjunction with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners Fall National Meeting. More about NAIC »
- Richard Bland’s article, “The ‘Enhanced Mutual’ – A Potential Game Changer?” was featured in the first digital edition of the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies’ IN Magazine. Read the Article. (PDF)
- Obtained Private Letter Ruling from IRS for reciprocal insurance company – article published in The Risk Retention Reporter. Read the News Article. (PDF)
- Developed Enhanced Mutual Form of Insurance Company Model to benefit select mutual insurance companies. Read about some of the advantages of the Enhanced Mutual Model.
- Assisted mutual insurance companies on specialized mutual tax and related issues.
- Represented stock insurance company in first nationwide conversion of stock form of insurer to reciprocal form of insurer resulting in substantial benefits to insurer Including substantial tax savings to insurer on ongoing basis.
- Reciprocal Risk Retention Group Receives Private Letter Ruling From IRS – article published in The Risk Retention Reporter. Read the News Article. (PDF)
- Represented captive reciprocal risk retention group in obtaining Internal Revenue Service Private Letter Ruling regarding deductibility of credits to subscriber savings accounts in light of reciprocal’s account establishment, structure, handling and payment obligations.
- Assisted in organization, capitalization, and licensing of one of South Carolina’s largest healthcare professional liability insurance risk retention group captives.
- Assisted multi-billion dollar consumer product company with Virginia insurance program.
- Represented insurer in redomestication.
- Represented reciprocal in structuring of subscriber accounts.
- Drafted proposed state reciprocal conversion and general reciprocal statutes (later enacted).
- Assisted teaching hospital with structure and documentation of self-insurance trust.
- Virginia insurance counsel in several multi-billion dollar insurance-backed securities offerings.
- Represented numerous insurance companies and group-self insurance trusts in mergers and acquisitions.
- Organized and licensed insurers, risk retention groups and captives.
Virginia State Capitol